Care is taken when packing your order and all equipment is inspected before shipping, but on occasion a shipment may be lost or damaged in transit. At the time your shipment is received, it is your responsibility to follow these guidelines.
Note: The following information applies to shipments on a pallet or in a crate, not small package delivery via UPS.
Before you sign the delivery receipt (or bill of lading), and before the driver departs:
If concealed damage is discovered:
- Verify the number of cartons.
- Open, unpack and thoroughly inspect your shipment for any damage.
- If damage or shortages are discovered, you must make a notation on all copies of the freight bill describing the damage or shortage in detail.
- It is your right to refuse any shipment that shows signs of damage or shortage at the time of delivery.
- Upon signing, you - or any individual assuming responsibility for the shipment by signing the delivery receipt - are acknowledging that the shipment was received in good condition and without damage or shortage. This signature transfers liability from the carrier to you.
- If the driver demands to leave before all portions of your shipment have been inspected, note on the delivery receipt (near your signature) that the driver would not allow for inspection.
- If you have questions during delivery, please call Customer Service at 1-800-BIG-TRAY (800-244-8729; 6am-5pm Pacific Time, M-F).
- Save all shipping cartons and packing materials.
- Immediately request an inspection by the carrier and file a freight claim. (some carriers restrict this time period to as few as 3 days.)
If packing materials are not saved, your opportunity to recover damages will be restricted. Failure to follow any of the above mentioned guidelines will also restrict your ability to return merchandise or file a claim for damages.
The freight carrier is responsible for loss or damage.
All shortages or damaged deliveries must be telephoned to BigTray within 2 days of receipt of shipment. BigTray cannot be held responsible for damaged merchandise that is signed for as free and clear of damage.